Mr. Sam Rajaratnam FRCS (Tr. & Orth.) is a leading Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon specialising in all aspects of knee surgery.
He runs a successful practice at the Horder Centre, Crowborough and the Mcindoe Hospital in East Grinstead treating Private and NHS patients.
He has recently been appointed Head of Department - Knee Surgery at the Schoen Clinic in London (opening in July 2018) and provides the latest care in treating disorders of the knee joint.
Sam performs amongst the highest number of successful knee replacement operations on the UK National Joint Registry each year (approximately 500 knee replacements) with excellent outcomes, and is an expert on the latest rapid recovery techniques following knee surgery.
The latest joint replacement techniques he performs include both partial and full surface replacements and the latest techniques in-patient specific 3D printed customised alignment methods for accurate fitting of knee implants.
Sam also treats numerous professional and amateur sportsmen with soft tissue injuries to their knee and performs over 100 ACL reconstructions each year as day case procedures.
He is excited about the advances in stem cells and biological solutions for treating appropriate cartilage defects in the knee and is very careful in selecting the appropriate patient for each new technique.
Training and Awards
- Sam trained at Guy’s and St Thomas’s Hospital in London and qualified with a First Class degree in anatomy and an MBBS in 1997.
- Further training via the Royal College of Surgeons, England at numerous centres of excellence in the U.K. and Australia.
- In 2006 Sam was awarded the Walter Mercer Gold Medal for the best performance throughout Great Britain and Ireland in the final FRCS orthopaedics examination.
- British Orthopaedic Association Ambassador to Hong Kong in 2007 working in Sydney, Australia, at some of the world’s best knee injury units.
- Appointed as a Consultant Surgeon in the U.K. in 2008, and now enjoys an excellent national reputation as a leading knee surgeon.
- Sam lectures internationally on advances in knee surgery and is an advisor to NHS England via the National Orthopaedic Alliance.
Sam is a keen sportsman and enjoys numerous sports including golf, cricket, tennis and countryside sports. He is also a keen pianist and accordionist.