In the last few years, eyebrows have become an integral part of women’s daily beauty routines, and eyebrow grooming products have grown from strength to strength. It’s easy to see why. Eyebrows have a massive impact on the way we express emotion, as well as the structure of our faces.
That’s why we wanted to give you the lowdown on everything you need to know about your brows, from their history, to how to keep them groomed and gorgeous.
- Cleopatra could be considered the first ever brow icon, favouring a dark, elongated, arched brow darkened with carbon.
- Marlene Dietrich is our brow icon from the roaring 20s. Her, and other Hollywood
icons,sported a thin, straight pencilled in brow.
- Audrey Hepburn’s timeless beauty is still iconic today, and her eyebrows are no exception. The 50s was a time for full, immaculately-shaped eyebrows with a high arch. This look was also worn by Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor, both style icons in their own right!
The art of eyebrow threading originated in India and has been practised for around 6000 years. Whilst eyebrow grooming might seem like a modern day phenomenon, there are a number of historical women we can turn to, who show us how eyebrow trends have changed over time. With that in mind, we’ve listed some of the most iconic brows, along with their memorable looks:
Our tips for great brows
Great eyebrows are fast becoming a cosmetics must, whatever your age. Our simple eyebrow tips will help you keep yours looking their best.
Don’t overdo it
Trim or tweeze as you need. There’s no hard and fast rule about how often to do this, but once you’ve achieved the perfect shape you’ll notice when fly-aways emerge or your eyebrows grow a bit longer than you’d like. Simply trim or tweeze these away as you notice them. Waxing or over plucking could leave you with dated looking eyebrows, so it’s best to keep hair removal to a minimum. This technique will also help if you’re worried about thinning.
Pick the right colour
Pencilling in your eyebrows is a must when it comes to brows that are very thin, short or patchy. Choosing a colour that suits you is essential in order to get a natural look that’s tailored to you. As a rule, the right colour should complement, not match, the hair on your head. So, if you’re a blonde, you should aim for a pencil two shades darker than your hair colour. Brunettes should aim to stay within two shades of their natural hair colour; those with darker skin and eyes should go for a slightly lighter shade and vice versa. Ladies with black hair should opt for a medium brown for a more natural look, and
Don’t aim for perfectly symmetrical
Our faces aren’t perfectly symmetrical and this rule doesn’t differ when it comes to eyebrows. If you’re looking for a natural shape, don’t worry if you find that your eyebrows are slightly uneven. Instead, when shaping your brows, try to stay true to their natural shape, rather than aiming for the exact same shape on both sides.
Stay away from the magnifying mirror
Shaping or plucking your eyebrows using a magnifying mirror can lead to over plucked or strangely shaped brows. Make sure you do your eyebrows whilst keeping them in perspective with the rest of your face to make sure you end up with a natural result that suits you.
Every girl’s best accessory?
We’ve already mentioned how essential your eyebrows are to the look and balance of your face, so making sure you keep them looking their best is vital. There are a number of popular treatments available that could help to keep your brows and the rest of your eye area in the best condition possible:
- Eyebrow transplants – hair loss is an issue for many
- If you’re not looking for a surgical option, the well know anti-wrinkle injection is a great, non-invasive alternative to a brow lift. Injections can be used to tighten up the muscles around the brows which can help to give you a more defined brow shape and younger looking skin.
- Blepharoplasty – this is not strictly eyebrow surgery, but an upper blepharoplasty or eyelid lift can help to increase definition around the brow area for instant rejuvenation.
- Brow lift – a brow lift is a great option for anyone looking for lasting results and a more defined brow line. The relatively simple procedure involves tightening of the muscles around the forehead and hairline, which can give you a more youthful look above the eyes.
If you’re looking to achieve perfect brows and rejuvenate your look, get in touch with the experts at the McIndoe Centre. We’re always delighted to hear from you.