As wrinkle relaxing injections continue to become more readily available and efficient as a cosmetic treatment, more men than ever before are starting to use it as an effective anti-ageing solution for lines on the forehead and crow’s feet around the eyes.
Rather than it being noticeable that a treatment has been performed, they are aiming to look fresher and more youthful in a natural way.
Written by Jennifer O'Neill, Consultant Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeon
The term ‘Brotox’ has been coined for this demand for male cosmetic treatments. Just in the same way as men are interested in high-end products such as moisturisers and sun protection to protect their skin, they can also benefit from the effects of facial injections to slow the ageing process and reduce or prevent wrinkles.
There is no ‘type’ of man who is interested in these treatments. We are all ageing and developing wrinkles from our 40s onwards, and both men and women alike are now becoming more aware of this simple and effective treatment - often because their partners and friends have had great results.
Positive effects of wrinkle relaxing injections for men
Injections containing higher doses of a wrinkle relaxing agent are often needed for men as the muscles can be larger and stronger than in women, however, with repeat injections less may be needed for the same effect.
The effect on reducing frown lines can make both men and women look less anxious and angry and remove a negative expression. This in turn may improve how people respond to us looking happier and less stressed, and may even have an internal biofeedback response to increase relaxation and wellbeing.
Benefit from expert knowledge prior to treatment
Patients can expect an initial aesthetic consultation where I can recommend which treatments would be best to give the optimal result. This is personal to each patient and may include agents such as Botox.
What men can expect after a wrinkle relaxing injection treatment:
- The treatment does not have a particularly inconvenient downtime and is usually barely visible afterwards - many of my patients continue normal life afterwards including returning to the workplace.
- I advise against rubbing or massaging the injected area after treatment (to prevent moving the wrinkle relaxing agent to the wrong area).
- It is best to avoid products on the skin for 6 hours and active exercise and alcohol for 24 hours after treatment.
- It is also best to avoid bending down or lying face down for the evening after treatment and not to lie flat for 4 hours after the treatment. If the forehead is treated it is best to avoid headwear that could press on the forehead (for example a hat or helmet) for 24 hours after the treatment.
- There can be occasional bumps or red marks and a bruise is possible although steps are taken to avoid this.
Contact The McIndoe Centre today for comprehensive pricing and we will do our best to arrange appointments with Jennifer O’Neill that fit around your busy schedule.
Jennifer O’Neill is a fully qualified plastic, reconstructive and aesthetic surgeon and treats patients within a specialist clinical setting at The McIndoe Centre. She is on the GMC specialist register for plastic surgery and is a member of the British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons (BAPRAS).