We are delighted to have achieved a ‘Food for Life Served Here Bronze Award’ from the Soil Association for serving meals that are good for our climate, nature and health at both The Horder Centre and The McIndoe Centre.
The ‘Food for Life Served Here Award’ from the Soil Association recognises caterers who are serving meals that use less, better meat, responsibly sourced fish, and locally sourced ingredients.
Patients, staff and visitors can be reassured that food on the menu in Food for Life Served Here accredited hospitals are freshly prepared and made from ingredients that are good for our climate, nature and health. Guy Heasman, Head of Corporate Support Services, said:
“I am so proud of the hard work the catering team have put in to get this national certification. We have always known that our food at Horder Healthcare is special, and the people making it even more so. They are driven to provide the very best food experience for both our patients and our colleagues, and to obtain a bronze award is a testament to this commitment.”
Some examples of food standards we follow:
- 98% of our dishes are freshly prepared
- 100% of our meat is from farms which satisfy UK animal welfare standards (Red Tractor and RSPCA approved)
- We only use fish from Marine Stewardship Council that are certified as sustainable and caught using sustainable fishing practices
- All of our eggs are from free range hens
- We don't use any undesirable additives or artificial trans fats or genetically modified ingredients
- Our menus are seasonal
- All suppliers have been verified to ensure they apply appropriate food safety standards
Bryn Hamer, Head of Business Development at Food for Life, said: ‘Food for Life Served Here caterers are leading the way in improving the food available in hospitals. Achieving a Food for Life Served Here Award is a fantastic accomplishment and a true reflection of a caterers’ commitment to serving meals that are nutritious as well as tasty.’
Find out more about the McIndoe Centre
We provide outstanding patient experiences
As a nationally recognised hospital of excellence in plastic, reconstructive, ophthalmic and maxillofacial surgery, we have demonstrated ourselves to be: effective, responsive, caring, safe and well-led. Recently rated ‘good’ by the CQC, we are committed to treating our patients and each other with kindness, respect and dignity resulting in life-changing outcomes.
Find out what it’s like to be a patient, from the people who matter the most.