Manual Lymphatic Drainage
Manual lymphatic drainage (MLD) is a gentle, effective, soothing massage technique that powerfully stimulates the lymphatic system. MLD swiftly decreases post-surgical pain, inflammation, pressure, swelling and bruising. It speeds the absorption of residual anaesthetics and optimises wound healing. It improves the initial results of liposuction and ensures soft, even results.
Manual lymphatic drainage sessions are provided by Clare Anvar at the McIndoe Centre on Mondays and Thursdays.
How does manual lymphatic drainage work?
After surgery, the lymphatic system is responsible for clearing cellular debris, bruising and maintaining fluid balances within the tissues. Often, significant swelling is generated because delicate lymphatic pathways are disrupted in the surgical area.
Normal drainage is impaired due to high pressure swelling overwhelming the ability of the initial lymphatics to open and drain surrounding tissues. This can lead to a pooling of tissue fluid and a stagnation of waste products around the site, causing prolonged bruising.
MLD reduces pressure, which stimulates and enables initial lymphatic flow. This reduces swelling and pain so that healing times can be greatly accelerated. MLD is commonly used in conjunction with other therapies for the best results. You will be advised on the best combination for your condition and needs. All therapies are delivered during the same session.
What can deep oscillation be used for?
Primarily, Deep Oscillation enhances the therapeutic effect of MLD. It can be used to accelerate healing for all of the following:
- Pre and Post Cosmetic surgery; Orthopaedic Surgery; Surgical Oncology; Liposuction
- All forms of musculoskeletal injury
- Chronic pain syndromes
- Neurological pain and rehabilitation
- Wound healing
- Scar management
- Fibrocystic breast disease
- Lymphoedema and chronic oedemas
- Leg Ulcers
MLD with Deep Oscillation speeds recovery from the following surgeries:
Liposuction, Vaser Liposuction, 3 and 4D sculpting
- Removes residual tumescent fluid via skin (open method) or by speeding absorption (closed suture method)
- Removes excess swelling &bruising
- Limits uneven fat distribution & fibrosis
- Encourages sculpted results
- Speeds return to daily activity
Face & Neck lift
- Does NOT disturb delicate internal sutures but relieves swelling & pressure from engorged tissues to promote faster, more comfortable healing.
- Enhances disrupted lymph flow from across face, under the chin and down the neck.
- Can be performed over splints.
- Does NOT disturb nasal position.
- Substantially relieves immediate pain from swelling & bruising.
- Improves incidence of seroma/haematoma or the need to aspirate if already present.
Courses of MLD with Deep Oscillation
For maximum benefit, courses are started 24-48 hours after surgery but can begin at any time during recovery. The benefits are cumulative; they build with a number of sessions.
To accelerate healing from all facial and body surgeries, a course of 4 sessions is initially recommended, delivered 1-2 times per week, then reviewed according to your specific requirements.
Types of Surgery:
- Face: 4-10 sessions
- Abdomen: 6-10 sessions
- Flanks 4-8 sessions
- Outer and inner thighs: 4-8 sessions
- Arms: 4-8 sessions
Sessions are provided by Clare Anvar at the McIndoe Centre on Mondays and Thursdays.
How to Find Us
For more information, we would be delighted if you wanted to arrange a consultation with us. You can call the Helpline for free and professional advice.